Where do I start?

I'm a freak - there is no denying it.

Monday, February 25, 2013

It's Far Past the Time



It’s taken far too long
And consumed almost all of my soul
To embrace the reality of it all.
It’s the hardest thing I’ve ever done to
Step out of denial
And into the light of truth
To tell myself in the mirror
“You must let go.
He does not want you.
The words spoken
Were only words
The love that was given
Is not returned.”

For more days than
I care to admit
I let myself
Believe that I could change his heart
That I could make him see
That we were each other's destiny.
But his eyes are closed
And he chooses not to see
He has chosen his life
And it doesn’t include me.

But why should that hurt the most?
More than being only a dirty little secret?
More than being used when it is convenient?
More than being told I mean the world,
Only to be shown that I’m not worth even one hour.
Why does the pain of letting go
And doing what’s best
Hurt more than letting myself
Be cut and cheapened?

So it is time to let go,
Of dreams that are fading
Of hopes that lifted me high.
Of a certainty that shakes my beliefs to their core.
For what I knew, is no more.
And I'm left to doubt
My own heart
that betrayed me far more deeply
Than any other soul has done.

No comments:

Post a Comment